Pros and cons of dropping the atomic bomb?
- The two bombs helped to end the war and save millions of lives.
- The bombs shook Emperor Hirohito out of his "denial" and got him to go against the Japanese Military leaders to announce Japan's surrender.
- It avoided another year or more of war and probably the near annihilation of the Japanese people.
- It allowed President Truman to have a way to end the war quickly as the American people had been hounding the government to do.
- It ushered in the age of nuclear weapons but also benefited the nation with nuclear energy which was clean and cheap.
- It killed, maimed and burned over 70.000 people on the day it was dropped and another 30 to 50 thousand later from radiation sickness, cancer and burns.
- It cost the US 2 Billion Dollars to develop the bomb.
- It was one variable that started the Cold War with the Soviet Union.