What important events happened during World War 1 in 1917?
- Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand - 28th June, 1914
- *Austria-Hungary sends an Ultimatum to Serbia (country of the members of the "Black Hand" who assassinated the Archduke); they agree to 3 out of the 4 terms, but Austria-Hungary wanted all 4 so they declare war.
- Great Britain declares war on Germany - 4th Aug, 1914
- Lord Kitchener calls for 100,000 men to join British army - 7th Aug,1914
- First German aircraft shot down by allied plane - 5th Oct, 1914
- Battle of Ypres - 15th Oct, 1914
- Christmas Truce on the Western Front - 25th Dec, 1914, (Germans and British played football)
- German gas attack at Ypres - 22nd April, 1915
- Sinking of the Lusitania - 7th May, 1915
- First Zeppelin raid on London - 31st May, 1915
- Germans attack at Verdun - 21st Feb, 1916
- Battle of Jutland - 31st May, 1916
- Start of the Battle of the Somme - 1st July, 1916
- First use of the tanks, in the Battle of the Somme - 15th Sept, 1916
- *Canadians take Vimy Ridge, February 1917 (VERY important if you take Canadian History because no other army was able to capture the ridge, and the Canadians were considered the underdogs at the time that they captured the ridge).
- United States declares war on Germany - 6th April, 1917
- United States troops arrive in France - 25th June, 1917
- King George V changes his name to Windsor - 17th July, 1917
- British attack at Passchendaele - 12th Oct, 1917
- Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany abdicates - 9th Nov, 1918
- Armistice - 11th Nov, 1918
- Paris Peace Conference - 12th Jan, 1919
- Treaty of Versailles signed - 28th June, 1919.
Some of the important events in history that have happened in the past 200 years were the first settlers arriving in America in the 1600s. The American Revolutionary War in the 1700s and the Civil War in the late 1800s. World War 1 began in 1914 and Great Depression happened in the 1930s. World War 2 began in the 1940s and ended in 1945.
There are many important events that happened in 1962. On January 1st, Western Somoa gained independence from New Zealand. The Cuban Missle Crisis occurred in 1962, which could have resulted in nuclear warfare between the US and USSR. The oral polio vaccine was developed by Albert Sabin. France loses Algeria and Britain loses Jamaica.
Extending from 1473 to 1543, the life-span of Nicolas Copernicus witnessed numerous important events in Europe and beyond. The major accomplishments of Copernicus, himself, stand as events of significance, but very few historical events of any age are more important than the 1517 protests of the German monk, Martin Luther, against Church abuses that led to the Protestant Reformation -- and the dawning of a new era in the world.
During World War I, many important events took place at the front and behind the front alike. Among the most important at the front must be the First Battle of the Marne (in the autumn of 1914), through which France stopped the initial German offensive and guaranteed a long-lasting war. In respect to events behind the front lines, the entrance of the United States into the war in April of 1917 was another "most important"…