The 44th President of the United States and former US senator from Illinois, Barack Obama is the first African-American to hold the presidential office.
What are some opinions about what President Obama has done right as President during his term so far?
This question is asking for opinions. Please keep the tone friendly when adding yours. This question is for voicing your opinion about what has been done right. See the related question below for voicing your opinions about what was done wrong in his Presidential term so far. If you disagree with another opinion in these answers, do not put that here, that is what the discussion section is for. When adding your opinion, put it below those opinions before yours.
*Note: some opinions may be based on biases,
misinformation or misinterpretation of facts.
- Prevented the collapse of the American automotive industry by making GM restructure before bailing them out, and putting incentive money to help the industry. As a result, many jobs were saved and some were created as GM became the Number 1 auto manufacturer in the world again.
- Shifted the focus of the war from Iraq to Afghanistan, and put the emphasis on reducing terrorism (where it should have been all along)
- Relaxed Anti-American tensions throughout the world
- Signed order to close the prisoner "torture camp" at Guantanamo Bay
- Has made the environment a national priority, and a primary source for job creation
- Has made education a national priority by putting emphasis and money behind new ideas like charter schools, but speaking directly to school children in telling them they have to do their part
- Won the Nobel Peace Prize - Pres. Obama has stated "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges" to which the Nobel prize's nominating committee responded: "For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman."
- Created a $789 billion economic stimulus plan
- Made the appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court
- Pushed for attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles
- Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans
- Renewed dialogue with NATO and other allies and partners on strategic issues
- Began the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force. This includes new procurement policies, increasing size of military, new technology and cyber units and operations, etc.
- Provided better body armor to our troops
- Created the "Cash for clunkers" program that offers vouchers to trade in fuel inefficient, polluting old cars for new cars to help stimulate auto sales, save energy, and help the environment
- Changed the failing status quo military command in Afghanistan
- Closed offshore tax safe havens
- Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan
- Ended previous policy of awarding no-bid defense contracts
- Ended media blackout on war casualties and the return of fallen soldiers to Dover AFB
- Ended the previous practice of cutting the FDA and circumventing FDA rules
- Ended previous practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug manufacturers for cheaper drugs; the federal government is now realizing hundreds of millions in savings
- Ended previous practice of having White House aides rewrite scientific and environmental rules, regulations, and reports
- Enabled the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act that has created 2.1 million jobs (as of 12/31/09)
- Ended previous policy of not regulating and labeling carbon dioxide emissions
- Ended previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back
- Ended previous policy on torture; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards
- Launched website Recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, an unprecedented step to provide transparency and accountability through technology
- Ended previous practice of protecting credit card companies; in place of it are new consumer protections from credit card industry's predatory practices
- Ended previous "stop-loss" policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date
- Enabled law that energy producing plants must begin preparing to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources
- Established a National Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money and making federal operations more efficient
- Established a new cyber security office
- Expanded the SCHIP program to cover health care for 4 million more children
- Expanded vaccination programs
- Provided funding to families of fallen soldiers to have expenses covered to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover AFB.
- Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with more than $1.4 billion to improve services to America's Veterans
- Encouraged Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research
- Budgeted funds for high-speed, broadband Internet access to K-12 schools
- Responded with compassion and leadership to the earthquake in Haiti
- Responded immediately and efficiently to the floods in North Dakota and other natural disasters
- Launched Business.gov - enabling conversation and online collaboration between small business owners, government representatives and industry experts in discussion forums relevant to starting and managing a business - Great for the economy
- Improved housing for military personnel
- Improved conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other military hospitals
- Changed failing war strategy in Afghanistan
- Improved benefits for veterans
- Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants…) after years of neglect
- Donated his $1.4 million Nobel Prize to nonprofit organizations
- Increased opportunities in AmeriCorps program
- Provided tax credits to first-time home buyers through the Worker, Home Ownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 to revitalize the U.S. housing market
- Increased pay and benefits for military personnel
- Increased student loans
- Instituted a new policy on Cuba, allowing Cuban families to return "home" to visit loved ones
- Cracked down on companies that deny sick pay, vacation and health insurance to workers by abusing the employee classification of independent contractor. Such companies also avoided paying Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance taxes for those workers
- Limited salaries of senior White House aides; cut to $100,000
- Placed limits on lobbyists' access to the White House
- Protected 300,000 education jobs that would have otherwise been lost, such as teachers, principals, librarians, and counselors through the Recovery Act
- Placed limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration
- Pushed for the Children's Health Insurance Re-authorization Act on February 4, 2009, which provides quality health care to 11 million kids - 4 million who were previously uninsured
- Lowered drug costs for seniors
- Made more loans available to small businesses
- Held many more press conferences and town halls and provides much more media access than previous administration
- Signed the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, the first piece of comprehensive legislation aimed at improving the lives of Americans living with paralysis
- Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals
- Promoted a new Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans
- Announced creation of a Joint Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record for medical records of members of the U.S. Armed Forces to improve quality of medical care
- Encouraged new federal funding for science and research labs
- Created new funds for school construction
- Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make recommendations for ways to cut spending
- Ordered a review of all federal operations to identify and cut wasteful spending and practices
- Began the phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdated weapons systems, which weren't even used or needed in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Reengaged in the talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions
- Provided tax credit to workers thus cutting taxes for 95% of America's working families
- Reengaged in the treaties/agreements to protect the Antarctic
- Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research
- Helped reverse a downward spiral of the stock market. On January 19, 2009, the last day of President Bush's presidency, the Dow closed at 8,218.22. In February 2010, the Dow closed at 10,309.24
- Renewed loan guarantees for Israel
- Restarted the nuclear non-proliferation talks and building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure and protocol
- Returned to the government the money authorized for his family's refurbishment of White House offices and private living quarters
- Sent envoys to the Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years; reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy
- Unveiled a program on Earth Day 2009 to develop the renewable energy projects on the waters of our Outer Continental Shelf that produce electricity from wind, wave, and ocean currents. These regulations will enable, for the first time ever, the nation to tap into our ocean's vast sustainable resources to generate clean energy in an environmentally sound and safe manner
- Signed national service legislation; expanded national youth service program
- Permitted states to enact fuel efficiency standards above federal standards
- Arranged for students struggling to make college loan payments to have their loans refinanced
- Commanded and authorized the SEALS team to gain the successful release of a US captain held by Somali pirates
- Pushed for the FDA to now regulate tobacco
- Ended the previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date
- Cut the missile defense program by $1.4 billion in 2010
- Provided for the public to meet with federal housing insurers to refinance (the new plan can be completed in one day) a mortgage if they are having trouble paying
- Arranged for the closing of the "secret detention" facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere
- Implemented the US financial and banking rescue plan
- Commanded the US Navy to increase patrols off the Somali coast
- Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act to stop fraud and wasteful spending in the defense procurement and contracting system
- Visited more countries and met with more world leaders in his first six months in office than any prior President
- Improved relations with Iran
- Improved U.S. policy on climate change
- Set timetable for exiting Iraq and brought troops home
- Improved relations with Russia
- Improved relations with the Islamic World
- Made progress towards greater cooperation on limiting nuclear proliferation
- Created jobs with his economic stimulus plan causing the unemployment rate to decrease. Currently at the lowest in recent years.
- Drastically slowed down the recession
- Saved Wall Street
- Passed the Lilly Ledbetter Act (equal work for equal pay)
- Signed the healthcare reform laws after he pushed for the successful passage of the comprehensive health care reform
- Signed into law a financial reform package related to Wall Street
- Nominated two of the only four women ever to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court
- Presided over the departure of U.S. combat troops from Iraq after seven years.
- Received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."
- Created closer oversight of the financial services/credit card industry
- Ratified the nuclear weapons reduction treaty with Russia
- Rescued the US automobile industry
- Provided timetables for bringing our troops home from Afghanistan
- Accomplished the extension of unemployment compensation
- Put an end to discrimination against homosexuals in the military
- Assisted in the overthrow of Moammar Gadhafi, with no loss of American life
- Extended unemployment compensation
- Started a new hospital records system
- He has done wonderful work starting to repair the sullied image of the United States around the world
- Helping the earth become a better place
- Gave money for veterans
- Encouraged people to do the right things and not the wrong
- Told people to believe in their dreams and to go through with them and have a great life
- He has given the late night talk show hosts a lot of new material for their jokes, as well as the 'forwarded' email jokes
- Kept John McCain from becoming President, which is all the contribution he needs to make. Even if he screws up royally, at least he kept Senator McCain from sitting in the "big boy's chair"
- Called for resumption of Arab-Israeli peace negotiations
- Introduced George Mitchell as an envoy for peace in Palestine
- Improved strained relations with moderate Arab leaders (like with his meeting with President Mubarak of Egypt and his meeting with King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz
- Started reversing U.S. efforts to isolate antagonists such as Iran and Syria
- Believes that there needs to be an elimination of nuclear weapons (like nuclear weapons in Iran)
- He has tried to do the best things possible to try to fix our country and the world's Economic Crisis (Watch the CBS Evening News w/ Katie Couric weekdays on CBS @ 6:30pm Eastern)
- Improved Relations with Russia
- Made the Rights of Women around the World a Core Component of the U.S. foreign policy
- Made Progress towards Greater Cooperation on Limiting Nuclear Proliferation
- Improved Relations with Iran
- Sponsored these bills (unverified):
• S.RES.529 : A resolution designating July 13, 2006, as "National Summer Learning Day".
• S.2048 : A bill to direct the Consumer Product Safety Commission to classify certain children's products containing lead to be banned hazardous.
• S.2125 : A bill to promote relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
• S.2154 : A bill to provide for the issuance of a commemorative postage stamp in honor of Rosa Parks.
• S.2259 : A bill to establish an Office of Public Integrity in the Congress and a Congressional Ethics Enforcement Commission.S.3627 : A bill to prohibit the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy from selling, distributing, or transferring elemental mercury, to prohibit the export of elemental mercury, and for other purposes
- He has done us proud, he is one of the best Presidents ever
- Ordered Osama Bin Laden killed on May 1st 2011
- Signed a detailed form to ban abuse to prisoners
- Sent out 800+ bills, most of which helped the US or will in the future
- Put his life on the line just to fix bush stupid mistakes
- Signed an Executive Order on government contracting to fight waste and abuse
- Renewed dialogue with NATO and other allies and partners on strategic issues
- Launched Recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, an unprecedented step to provide transparency and accountability through technology
- Launched a $15 billion plan to boost lending to small businesses
- Invested heavily in education both as a way to provide jobs now and lay the foundation for long-term prosperity
- Signed an Executive Order establishing the White House Office of Urban Affairs
- Issued a Presidential Memorandum to restore scientific integrity in government decision-making
- Answered questions at the first online town hall from the White House that were submitted and voted on transparently by the public at WhiteHouse.gov
- Established a central portal for Americans to find service opportunities
- Launched Business.gov - enabling conversation and online collaboration between small business owners, government representatives and industry experts in discussion forums relevant to starting and managing a business
- Appointed the first ever Federal Chief Information Officer to provide management and oversight over federal IT spending
- Signed the Children's Health Insurance Reauthorization Act on February 4, 2009, which provides quality health care to 11 million kids - 4 million who were previously uninsured
- Issued an Executive Order repealing the Bush-Era restrictions on embryonic stem cell research
- Committed to phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdates weapons systems, which weren't even used or needed in Iraq/Afghanistan
- Played a lead role in G-20 Summit that produced a $1.1 trillion deal to combat the global financial crisis
- Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act to stop fraud and wasteful spending in the defense procurement and contracting system
- Ordered the closure of the prison at Guantanamo Bay and a review of our detention and interrogation policy, and prohibited the use of torture
- Appointed Special Envoys for Climate Change, Southwest Asia, the Middle
East, Sudan, and a Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants) after years of neglect
- Increased minority access to capital
- Developed a comprehensive new strategy on Afghanistan and Pakistan that will help defeat Al Qaeda and authorized the deployment of more than 21,000 troops to Afghanistan
- Signed the Fraud Enforcement and Recovery Act which gives the federal government more tools to investigate and prosecute fraud, from lending to the financial system, and creates a bipartisan Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission to investigate the financial practices that brought us to this point
- Signed the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act
- Increased, for the first time in more than a decade, the fuel economy standards for Model Year 2011 for cars and trucks so they will get better mileage
- Issued a Presidential Memorandum to the Department of Energy to implement more aggressive efficiency standards for common household appliances
- Announced a new U.S.-Mexico border initiative
- Concluded cyberspace policy review
- Established a new "U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue"
- Announced new policy steps towards Cuba
- Provided funding for advanced manufacturing technologies
- Issued a Presidential Memorandum on the Freedom of Information Act instructing the Attorney General to issue new guidelines to the government implementing those same principles of openness and transparency in the processing of FOIA requests
- Funded the design of a new Smithsonian National Museum of African American History scheduled to open on the National Mall in 2015
- The Executive Order on Presidential Records brings those principles to presidential records by giving the American people greater access to these historic documents, severely curtailing the ability to use executive privilege to shield those documents
- Signed the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, a hallmark piece of legislation
- Signed an Executive Order establishing a White House Council on Women and Girls to provide a coordinated Federal response to the challenges confronted by women and girls and to ensure that all Cabinet and Cabinet-level agencies consider how their policies and programs impact women and families
- Reengaged in the agreements/talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions, and addressed the U.N. Climate Change Conference
- Supported the first steps of a legally-binding treaty to reduce mercury emissions worldwide
- Managed several natural disasters successfully, including oil spill in the Gulf- one of the worst environmental disasters ever- severe winter ice storms and flooding in several states
- Provided new car tax credit
- Purchased fuel efficient American-made fleet of vehicles for the federal government
- Nominated Sonia Sotomayor to Supreme Court. She's confirmed and becomes the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice
- Helped reverse a downward spiral of the stock market. On January 19, 2009, the last day of President Bush's presidency, the Dow closed at 8,218.22. Today, the Dow closed at 10,309.24 (February 2010)
- Earned an unprecedented success rate of 96.7% on winning congressional votes on issues where he took a position. He did even better than legendary arm-twister Lyndon Johnson who had a 93% success rate in 1965
- Signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act that made it a federal crime to assault an individual because of his or her sexual orientation or gender identity
- Appointed the first Special Assistant to the President for Disability Policy
- Signed the Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act authorizing advance appropriations for the Department of Veterans Affairs by providing two-fiscal year budget authority thus enabling better medical care for veterans. Endorsed by the American Legion, American Veterans, Blinded Veter...ans Association, Disabled American Veterans, Jewish War Veterans, Military Officers Association, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Paralyzed Veterans of America and Vietnam Veterans of America
- Held impromptu press conference to urge Congress to investigate Anthem Blue Cross and other corporate health insurance companies that raise premiums in high amounts without explanation. Rep. Henry Waxman launches probe. In this case, Anthem Blue Cross wanted to raise premiums 39%. They have now put the increase on hold for two months (as of February 2010). Legislation preventing such increases pending
- Designated $1.5 billion from the Troubled Asset Relief Program to fund programs at local housing finance agencies in the states hardest hit by the housing crisis: California, Florida, Nevada, Arizona and Michigan. The MBA forecasts that foreclosures will peak in the last quarter of 2010
- Extended discounted COBRA health coverage for the nation's unemployed from 9 months to 15 months. Workers laid off between September 1, 2008 and February 28, 2010 qualify
- Extended unemployment benefits for 2,000,000 unemployed Americans by 20 weeks. At the time the bill was signed 7,000 unemployed Americans were losing their unemployment benefits each day
- Eliminated federal funding for abstinence-only education which was significantly increased during the Bush Administration to $176 million annually
- Rescinded the Global Gag Rule
- Appointed the most diverse Cabinet in history including more women appointees than any other incoming president
- Committed to no permanent military bases in Iraq through the Defense Authorization Act
- Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs the largest spending increase in 30 years to improve medical facilities and national cemeteries, and to assist states in acquiring or constructing state nursing homes and extended care facilities
- Strengthened the Endangered Species Act
- Empowered states that legalized medical marijuana to regulate themselves. Fourteen states have allowed some use of marijuana for medical purposes: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Maryland, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington
- Enhanced earth mapping
- Increased funding for national parks and forests in 2010, and plans to do it again for FY 2011
- Allocated special funding to the Labor Department to provide green job training to veterans
- Allocated funding to states and the Department of Homeland Security to save thousands of police or firefighter jobs from being cut during the recession
- Created and sustained 2.1 million jobs and stimulated the economy 3.5% [as of December 31, 2009] through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Signed on to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Signed the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act of 2009. The Act extends the Ryan White programs through 2013
- Ordered a review by the Sentencing Commission of mandatory minimum sentences
- Signed the Travel Promotion Act of 2010 to increase travel to the United States
- Expanded the Rural Energy for America Program and USDA energy grants to empower farmers that want to use renewable energy
- Revitalized and empowered the EPA, OSHA and the SEC to protect workers and consumers by regulating business practices
- Signed the HIRE Act
- Did not apologize to BP for making them take responsibility for the mess they created, as the GOP has done
- Did not suggest that taxpayers foot the bill for the spill instead of BP, like John Boehner, Michele Bachmann, Tom Donohoe and other GOPers think we should
- Did not further injure out of work Americans by blocking the extension of unemployment benefits in June of 2010
- Worked tirelessly to get Congress to work in a bipartisan manner and encouraged Democrats and Republicans to work together and compromise . Democrats did
- As the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, Barack Obama has inspired billions of people across the globe to take part in their political community, especially the youth populations
- Supported funding for deep space travel by NASA (incl. asteroids and Mars)
- Imposed a $500,000 cap on senior executives' pay for the most distressed financial institutions receiving federal bailout money
- Developed new Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans
- Announced the long-term development of a national energy grid with renewable sources and cleaner, efficient energy production
- Held first Seder ever in the White House
- Backed the START Treaty
- Stood for the food safety regulation bill
- President Obama pushed for the successful passage of comprehensive health care reform; signed into law a financial reform package related to Wall Street; nominated two of the only four women ever to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court; and presided over the departure of U.S. combat troops from Iraq after seven years. He also was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."
- Quit smoking cigarettes as a leader and role model to set an example of a healthier lifestyle
- Guantanamo Bay closed. Human rights were being breached so now the prisoners (some American citizens) can have fair treatment.
- Removed Troops from Iraq. Relieving military stress, lowering war costs, strengthening Iraq's infrastructure
- Health Care Reform will insure all Americans, would lower costs of treatment, increase quality of medical care
- Economic Stimulus, etc. Expensive measures were necessary to revitalize the economy, jobs are being created slowly but surely, Obama is not at fault for the mounting economic struggles, he inherited them.
- Appointed nation's first Chief Technology officer
- Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans
- Signed financial reform law requiring lenders to verify applicants' credit history, income, and employment status. Signed financial reform law prohibiting banks from engaging in proprietary trading (trading the bank's own money to turn a profit, often in conflict with their customers' interests). Signed financial reform law allowing shareholders of publicly traded companies to vote on executive pay.
- Provided $12.2 Billion in new funding for Individuals With Disabilities Education Act
- Extended Benefits to same-sex partners of federal employee.
- Implemented voluntary disclosure of White House visitors for the first time in US history.
- Signed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, giving the FDA the authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and sale of tobacco for the first time.
- Developed stimulus package, which includes approx. $18 billion for non-defense scientific research and development.
- He's worked hard to please both sides of the political spectrum and work with republicans to pass fair legislation.
- He wants people to pay more attention to their kids.
- He got Bin Laden.
- Has been one of the most (if not the most) fiscally responsible presidents in the past 60 years. See the graph in the related links section that shows his spending compared to the recent presidents back through Ronald Reagan. Don't believe the politically-driven lies that he is spending more than all others. The economic reports show the opposite.
See also the related question below asking for opinions about what he has done wrong so far.
What are the names of Barack Obama's daughters?
1 Malia Ann Obama
2 Sasha Obama
What is Barack Obama's birthday?
August 4, 1961 (1961-2018)
How can you join the church of Satan?
The Church of Satan does not solicit membership. Those who wish to affiliate can become Registered Members for a one-time registration fee of two hundred dollars ($200) in United States currency.
Taken from the Church of Satan's official website:
We don't solicit memberships; however, if you wish to join us to show your support or appreciation you can become a Registered Member. For a one-time registration fee of two hundred dollars in United States currency, you will receive an embossed crimson card declaring you a member of the Church of Satan. This card is your means for identifying yourself as a genuine member of the Church of Satan to other members. If you expect to meet another member for the first time, be prepared to produce your card.
No further dues will be expected. There are no further obligations. You must be legally an adult in your nation of residence.
What was Barack Obama's father's birthday?
Some sources say he was born in 1932, date unspecified. But other sources say Barack Obama (Senior) was born in Kenya on 18 June 1936.
Where did Barack Obama spend most of his life?
He lived in Hawaii (where he was born) as a young boy; when his mother re-married, he spent four years of his childhood in Indonesia before returning to Hawaii. As an adult, he lived in California, New York, and Massachusetts, before moving to Chicago, Illinois after getting his law degree from Harvard in 1991. So, the two places he spent most of his life were Honolulu and Chicago.
What is the us president in charge of?
The President of the United States is the official head of the United States Government. Unlike the Queen of England and U.K., which is an hereditary, mostly figurehead position (nowadays), POTUS is not. The President is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, he has the power to send troops to anywhere in the world for a limited period of time, may also call into federal service the state units of the National Guard. In times of war or national emergency, the Congress may grant the president even broader powers to manage the national economy and protect the security of the United States. He appoints the members of the U.S. Supreme Court, and the Cabinet Secretaries (equivalent to the Prime Minister and of Ministers of office in other countries). He can issue awards, receive other foreign heads of state, offer diplomatic recognition of other states, can issue rules, regulations, and instructions called executive orders, which have the binding force of law upon federal agencies but do not require congressional approval. He also has the sole right to authorize the use of nuclear weapons. He also has power of clemency--he can pardon sentences and commute sentences. he president appoints ambassadors, ministers, and consuls--and receives ambassadors and other foreign officials to the U.S. The President is responsible for the protection of Americans abroad and of foreign nationals in the United States. He also can declare a state of emergency. He has the ability to withhold information from the public, Congress, and the courts in matters of national security.
Who said Look it's an all volunteer force?
Humorist John Semmens used this in a satire he wrote, it was not intended as other than comedy. It has been incorrectly stated that President Obama said it and other parts of the satire by Mr. Semmens. The President did not say this. It is fictional dialogue excerpted from the satirical piece that was published March 21, 2009 on Semmens' website.
See the article about this urban legend at the Snopes page linked in the related links section below.
What is President Obama's official constituent email address?
You can contact President Obama through the White House's contact page (www.whitehouse.gov). You can use the form on that page to send questions, comments, concerns, or well-wishes to the President or to his staff. It should be noted that the president himself may not read your email directly; since presidents receive large amounts of mail, they tend to have staff members who read the messages first; some of the messages may be forwarded to the president.
How old is Jung Joon-ho?
Jung Joon-ho is 43 years old (birthdate: October 1, 1970).
What kind of cellphone does Barack Obama Have?
When this question was first asked in 2009, we answered that Barack Obama had a Blackberry. At that time, many businesspeople still did. But Blackberry began to have some problems, and by 2011, a large number of users had moved to either an android or an iPhone. Reporters in early 2013 noted that Mr. Obama has remained loyal to his Blackberry (he has said that he is used to it), but he acknowledged that he too also has an iPhone.
How do Dolly Madison and Michelle Obama compare?
they both tried to persuade people to do good therefor the world would become better because all the first ladies had an accomplish.like this.
What kind of aftershave does Barack Obama wear?
I am going to take an educated guess for the answer. I think he doesn't use one. When the family wanted a dog they were concerned about getting one that wouldn't cause allergies. This shows that there is an allergy problem. Perfumes/after shaves often are bad for people with allergies so he may not wear one for that reason.
What is Barack Obama's leadership style?
Generally speaking, he has been described as a consensus-builder. That is, his preferred style of negotiations has been to take input from all sides and form a suitable compromise solution acceptable (if not preferred) by the large majority of interested parties. In short, he was originally described as The Great Compromiser.
However, the political facts and situation of his current term of the presidency has pushed him more toward an increasingly confrontational partisan role, as his current major opposition has refused to negotiate at all with him on practically all issues. His inability to reach consensus with the opposition appears to have changed his leadership style to one where ignoring the opposition and governing solely via raw power is his sole option.
How do you contact vice president joe biden?
there is a game jimmy fallon plays with the audience "how would trump say it?" listen!
How many pages in the health care law?
The final version has 906 pages, and is now online for anyone to read. The link is enclosed. (It should be noted that many congressional bills are very long, and this one is no exception.)
Did Barack Obama attend Occidental College as Barry Soetoro?
No, this is an internet myth. His classmates called him "Barry Obama" back then. He was officially listed in Occidental materials as "Barack Obama". He never used the name "Soetoro" because his step-father never adopted him.
Snopes.com as a detailed deconstruction of the Hoax, including a quote from Occidental's communications Director which confirms that "Occidental has no record of a "Barry Soetoro" ever attending". He goes on to say "Contemporary public documents, such as the 1979-80 freshman 'Lookbook' published at the beginning of President Obama's first year at Occidental, list him as Barack Obama. All of the Occidental alumni I have spoken to from that era (1979-81) who knew him, knew him as Barry Obama."
What is Barack Obama's maternal grandmother's name?
Her name was Madelyn Lee Payne Dunham, but President Obama called her by her nickname-- Toot, which is a short form of the Hawaiian word for "grandma."
When does Barack Obama's term end?
President Obama's first term expired at 11:59 am on January 20, 2013. Now that he has been re-elected, his second and final term will expire at 11:59 am on January 20, 2017. Presidents are only allowed to serve in office for two terms.
What happened to Gabrielle Giffords?
I was literally just wondering the same thing because it was all over the news. Well, I searched it and found out that she was shot straight through the brain. So far she is still alive but we all know thing can change. Apparently her conditions have changed to "good" from "serious".
What are some opinions about what President Obama has done wrong as President during his term so far?
This question is asking for opinions. Please keep the tone friendly when adding yours. This question is for voicing your opinion about what has been done wrong. See the related question below for voicing your opinions about what was done right in his Presidential term so far. If you disagree with another opinion in these answers, do not put that here, that is what the discussion section is for. When adding your opinion, put it below those opinions before yours.
*Note: some opinions may be based on biases,
misinformation or misinterpretation of facts.
- Signed order to close the prisoner "torture camp" at Guantanamo Bay, but it remains open.
- Created a $789 billion economic stimulus plan which only threw a lot of money around and ran up record debts.
- Wants to cut the size of the military which puts us at risk.
- Created the "Cash for clunkers" program that offered vouchers to trade in old cars for new cars to help stimulate auto sales, save energy, and help the environment. But, it was a really stupid idea, it wasted our tax money. It destroyed American cars and replaced them with foreign cars.
- Started to try to regulate and label carbon dioxide emissions, a really crazy idea. Carbon dioxide is a trace gas. There is less than one half of one percent in the atmosphere. It is absolutely vital to plants. This regulation just gives the government the power to kill any business.
- He has not dismantled the Federal Reserve.
- Renewed the PATRIOT Act with increased provisions, and he also signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law. Citizens can be detained without trial under the NDAA, which is obviously very bad.
- Promised during his campaign to end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home immediately. He then set a timetable which he violated, and only lately have we seen the major troop withdrawals and end of the war.
- It is not so much what he has done wrong as what has he not yet done what was expected from his promises.
- Many bad things including the failed stimulus bill putting America in debt another trillion.
- The health care bill which will make people who work hard for their money have to pay even more taxes because it has to be paid for somehow. Plus it takes away our freedoms by making us have health care that will just make America weaker.
- Didn't end income tax for seniors making less than $50,000 President Obama promised: " Will eliminate all income taxation of seniors making less than $ 50,000 per year. This will eliminate 7 million seniors - saving them an average 1,400 per year."
- Didn't keep promise to end no-bid contracts above $25,000- President Obama promised: "Will ensure that Federal contracts over 25,000 are competitively bid."
- Did not allow imported prescription drugs- He promised to: " Allow Americans to buy their medicines from other developed countries if the drugs are safe and prices are lower outside the US"
- Did not double the peace corps as promised: "Barack Obama will double the peace corps to 16,000 by its 50th anniversary in 2011 and push Congress to fully fund this expansion, with a focus on Latin America and the Caribbean."
- Did not allow five days of public comment before singing bills as promised: "Will not sign any non-emergency bills without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."
- Broke promise to give annual "state of the world" address: " I'll give an annual 'State of the World ' address to the American people in which I lay out our national security policy."
- Broke promise that no family making less than $250,000 a year would see any form of tax increase: "I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."
- Has not directed the Secretary of Health and Human Services to conduct Federal cancer initiatives as promised.
- Did not make tougher rules against revolving door for lobbyists and former officials.
- Has not doubled funding for after school programs.
- Has not urged states to treat same-sex couples with equality in their family and adoption laws.
- Bankruptcy judges modify terms of a home mortgage.
- No support for human mission to moon by 2020.
- Has not paid for the national service plan without increasing the deficit.
- Didn't reduce earmarks to 1944 levels.
- Has not recognized Armenian genocide.
- Did not require that negotiations of health care reform be held in public sessions televised on C-SPAN
- Has not created a public option health plan for a new National Health Insurance Exchange.
- If you have not already thrown this paper away, you would also find out that President Obama found time to make sure that he'd establish a credit card bill of rights. Yes, that's important but what about all of the things that he did not do? It is obvious that he does not know what he has gotten himself into. He came into the game unprepared, and his only life is fading away. I personally think that it is ridiculous how he does things. He is more of a planner and not a doer.
- Obama Memorial Day 2010, Barack Obama skipped the Memorial Day tradition of the President laying a wreath at the tomb of the unknowns. It is not unprecedented. He is reported to be returning to his home town to go to a family reunion for the memorial day weekend.
- What is "bad" from one person's perspective may be good from another. Such as, he was elected to--and set about--changing policies and procedures that the Bush Administration put in place over eight years (including starting unnecessary wars and the implementation of torture) but this is not fully implemented.
- Has not pushed back enough against accusations of socialism, but these accusations have been hype and hyperbole.
- He is a socialist. Read the definition of socialism and compare, if you do this there is no denying that Obama is a socialist.
- He spent more than four times more in his first year than the next highest, which was Geo. W Bush.
- Without going too far into detail, every pet project of his has turned into a disaster.
- The economy has not recovered even though the White House declared the recession to be over nearly two years ago
- Health care premiums have tripled, and our leader still shows no signs that he will act like the leader of the free world.
- Bowing to an official of another country. Bowing may be a sign of respect there, but we need to show the world we are the leader, they must conform to us.
- So far, he has been a complete failure - even his own supporters are jumping ship by the thousands because instead of making the right choices and following his heart, every choice he makes is based on whether it will help him win a second term or not. Pathetic, and an embarrassment for the Democrats.
- He raised taxes, made pointless and costly ear-marks. The tax increase, contrary to his small brain, does not help people. Tax increase forces businesses to lay off workers which President Obama does not understand.
- He doesn't understand war.
- President Obama wants to hand out money to people who are poor, and possibly more than half those people who refuse to work.
- He increased the deficit by over $900 billion in his 1st 2 years.
- Doubled unemployment in his 1st 2 years.
- Put another 16 million people on food stamps. Those was his contributions to the financial crisis so far.
- Got us into more debt in nine months than the last three presidents combined in the entirety of their terms in office.*
- He said we were going to have health care this year but we don't.
- Came to the negotiation table already at a compromise with the Republicans. This gave the Republicans room to reject the compromise without even looking at it, on the principle that they could get more.
- Obama allowed Republicans to frame the health care debate by their terms, instead of persuading Americans that this was a long term social issue, and that he was on the right side of the argument.
- Instead of compromising, Barack Obama should have been bolder, pushing forth a hugely progressive agenda and garnering public support, compromising only in the end after he had the support. Instead, Obama led himself into a corner where there was no more room for bargaining, and he had to capitulate.
- President Barack Obama has repeatedly bailed out big companies for their financial mistakes over and over again. This will in the future end up to be his biggest downfall especially during his first year in office.
- Using tax payer money to bail out those financial institutions that caused the largest financial turmoil since the depression only shows that if money is involved you will always be forgiven. In the future, the American people can only hope that justice is brought to these who have put a large financial burden on this country.
- Has done almost nothing on most of our problems (the only one I can think of is killing Bin Laden, and even then all he did was sign a paper saying the SEAL team could do it).
- He was caught lip syncing to a speech at least one time, probably more.
- He talks like he's a radio that's being tuned in.
- He is doing a great job of splitting this country in two.
- Turned the $433 trillion deficit into a $1,347 trillion deficit in only 2 years.
- For the 1st time since at least 2000 the work force in the united states was decreased. The workforce in 2000 was 135 million, and 143 million in 2008, now it's down to only 139 million.
- Unemployment rose from 6% to 15% in just 2 years in his term.
- Advance his political career by getting members of his own party kicked off the ballot.
- Become president before completing his full term as Senator.
- Completely ignored the American people, and trampled on the Constitution.
- Gave terrorists Miranda rights, although it is directly denied to our war time enemies in the Constitution, and such a act by the Constitutional definition could be considered treason.
- He is the worst president in American history because
- Many people glorify him for being the first African American president,
- He thinks he's helping when he's really just screwing us more,
- His followers are blind to his real self, they can't back up their beliefs except with things like "He's the first Black president"(yea, I said black) or "He's just awesome."
- His priorities seem a bit muddled. The " transparency " promised in his campaign speeches has yet to materialize. He seems to be spending a lot of time with SEIU considerations , making the country safe for Unions, and accepting Awards he has yet to earn.
- For me personally, "hate" is not a strong enough word. As a republican teen, not yet able to vote, I followed this campaign pretty closely, after realizing the historic importance of it. In my view, Obama can't live up to the great job Bush and his administration did. Obama is all about change, but his views on health-care isn't going to help. I have an 85 year old grandmother who lives with me and my family, and Obama's health-care plan is going to worsen her health-care insurance more than it already is. It won't be only her almost all seniors with health issues will die because of them. The fact that Obama is our next President should make those of us who don't like him, try to impeach him and get a liberal out of office in time of a recession and a near depression. When he messes up, we can say, "We told you so..."
- Set a bad example by being a cigarette smoker. (now quit-2012)
- The answer to this question is a matter of opinion. Some believe he is a lousy president, but others believe he is a great president. Debating about the issue could go on endlessly, but only history will tell which it will be in the final analysis.
- Obama tells us he will pull troops out of war... he put more in.
- He said NO MORE DRILLING ... the Obama administration is going to start off shore drilling in the next few months.
- Guantanamo Bay closed. Prisoners are now in U.S. prisons or have been deported.
- Removed Troops from Iran. Relapse of government could be possible, Iraqi troops may not have enough training to secure the country.
- Health Care Reform. Government is becoming more involved in health care system, spending may be wasteful.
- Economic Stimulus, etc. Obama has created a 1 trillion dollar spending deficit, unemployment is still high, big corporations received government tax money.
- Before he was elected, he assured he would pull the troops out of Iraq a couple months after he took office. He did not get the withdrawal of troops started for over two years. But it is done now.
- President Barack Obama has repeatedly bailed out big companies for their financial mistakes over and over again. This will in the future end up to be his biggest downfall especially during his first year in office.
- Using tax payer money to bail out those who have caused the largest financial turmoil since the depression only shows that if money is involved you will always be forgiven. In the future the American people can only hope that justice is brought to these who have put a large financial burden on this country.
- He made bad decisions on some civil rights issues: warrantless searches; executions of American citizens outside the US who were suspected terrorists, etc.
- He is a liberal and he made the health care bill.
- I too fear that Obama is trying to turn America into something it was never meant to be while giving speeches to flatter people and thinking everything is alright. Unless his actions flow with his words, I'm afraid that there isn't going to be much of the "Change" he spoke about before he became president. It's very true that we have obtained "Change", but it's not the "Change" that we expected to get out of him. I may not know much about politics, but I hope that Obama doesn't use his power for his own pleasures. It's "We The People", not "Him The Powerful".
- He has not persuaded Congress to pass Universal Health Care or a Public Option.
Does President Obama write his own speeches?
Yes and no. Some of his best speeches during his political career as a senator were his creations; but he does not write them all exclusively any more. In fact, during his first term as president, Mr. Obama's chief speech writer was a young man named Jon Favreau. When he left in early 2013, the president found a new speechwriter, Cody Keenan. But throughout his political career, the president has taken a very hands-on approach to his speeches, collaborating with his speechwriter and offering his own revisions as well as making changes where necessary.
One of Mr. Obama's most famous speeches that garnered his early recognition as a great orator and politician on his way up, was given as the Keynote at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. He wrote at least 80% of that speech himself, according to Dan Shomon, political director of more than one of the previous Obama political campaigns. The following is from a 2005 profile article in the Columbia College Today newspaper about their alumnus, Barack Obama (see link below for the full article).
"More good fortune came in the form of the Kerry campaign inviting Obama to deliver the convention's keynote address. 'They wanted somebody to represent the diversity of the party, and people knew he was a good speaker,' Shomon said.
Obama is a natural and polished orator. What he has had to work on, those who know him say, are his one-on-one connections. During his eight years in the state senate, Obama spent more time with his constituents and learned to be an attentive listener, they say. Those skills were essential in connecting with statewide voters during the Senate campaign. Obama successfully appealed to inner-city blacks and suburban professionals as well as downstate farmers and factory workers. When he reached out to the state's rural areas, he was able to relate to the farmers there because 'those folks were very much like the grandparents from Kansas who raised him,' [David] Axelrod says.
Obama drafted the convention speech on paper during two nights in a hotel room during the campaign. He writes all of his speeches, bills and other important documents, according to Shomon. When Obama finished the draft of the speech, he faxed a copy to Axelrod, who says, 'I was reading it and handing each page to my wife, and my mouth was agape, because it was beautiful and profound. How many people in public life can write like this?' Axelrod says the consultants and the Kerry camp recommended few changes, and 80 percent of the final speech was the same as the original draft.
It was a hit..."
As the vast majority of speeches a President gives are "ordinary" - things like a "stump" speech while campaigning, or speeches to various groups while traveling - they tend to be both duplicated, and rather dull. The huge quantity of speeches that modern Presidents have to give (as many as a hundred or more a year), means that virtually all of them have traditionally been written by a speech writing staff. Major speeches, like the State of the Union, will be crafted by the chief speechwriter, but as mentioned before, Mr. Obama provides considerable input.
What Christian Denomination is Barack Obama associated with?
When living in Chicago, he and wife Michelle were members of the Trinity United Church of Christ. Since moving to Washington, DC, they have not officially selected a church to join, preferring instead to visit different churches of different Protestant denominations around the city. Their visits over the past two years (2011-2013) have mainly been to St. John's Episcopal church, which is located near the White House.
Where was Barack Obama born?
President Barack H. Obama, II was born in Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital in Honolulu, on Oahu Island, Hawaii, at 7:24 PM on Friday, August 4, 1961.
How old is Michael Oliver?
Michael Oliver is 29 years old (birthdate: October 10, 1981).