the service engine light can come on for a number of reasons. mainly something has failed, or fallen out of normal perameters. Most local parts stores, Autozone, Advance auto, Checker, offer free computer scans. 90% of the time the clerk can tell you exactly what you need, and how to fix the problem. the other 10% of the time its out of their hands, or beyond their knowledge. if the clerk does not give you a good enough answer, repost a question with the engine code or codes that the scanner picked up.
In order to reset the service engine light, you need to locate the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. The light should not be reset unless you are absolutely sure service is not needed.Ê
Service required is the oil change reminder. Service engine soon would be the check engine light.
Reasons the service engine light does not come on: The bulb is burned out. I would suspect this first. There is a wiring problem. The engine control module is bad.
You have changed enough to confuse the computer. Have you checked with an OBDII handheld to see what codes are popping up?
That is one of many possible causes.
No it will not.
There are pages and pages of things that can turn on the check engine light. You need to have it checked fro codes with a scan tool. You can then dignose the cause of the code.
A Service Engine light and a Check Engine light have the same purpose - to alert the driver that a malfunction has been detected by a sensor(s). It would behoove you to take your vehicle to an auto parts store (AutoZone or similar) that does free scans and have the touble code(s) retrieved to find what made the light come on. Some manufacturers call it a Check Engine light and others call it a Service Engine light, but as mentioned above they serve the same pirpose. I don't think your vehicle would have it labeled both ways.
no that shouldn't make the check engine light to come on but that's not good on the fuel pump i would change the gas in the tank
TAke it to auto zone and have the codes read for free/
My service engine soon light came on a day two ago, I have driven the car about 20 miles since it came on. Today, the light just went out. The vehicle is running good. What would cause the light to come on, and why would it just go out on its own?
Low coolant would be because the coolant is low or the sensor has failed, Check engine light would be because the computer has detected a problem and set a code.
stop by local parts store they should have a little ob sensor that would reset it
The owners guide for my '04 Endeavor says do not disconnect the battery I think, or the on board diagnostic record will be lost. maybe this would also clear the service engine light?
service engine soon is your car telling you that you have reached a pre set service interval. Check your owners manual for a list of these maintenance items.
Could be a wiring issue or a completely different problem.
A malfunctioning sensor can cause the service engine light to stay on. A glitch in the computer can also cause the light to stay on.
If the check engine light is on with no codes, you have a wiring or computer issue.
Many things could cause your service engine soon light to come on. Every time you start the engine, the computer does a self-diagnostic test. If it finds any faults, it will illuminate the light. I would recomend you find an OBD ( On Board Diagnostic) tester and read the code. Autozone will perform this service for free. They will read the code and tell you what is causing your light to come on.
The red Check Engine light and the amber Service Engine Soon light serve the same purpose. It is unlikely that a vehicle would have both. The trouble diagnostic codes have to be retrieved in order to determine if the problem is performance or emmissions related.
Could be numerous things and impossible to know without inspection. However, if you take the vehicle to an auto supply store such as Auto Zone, the people there have a device they can plug into the car and may be able to tell you why the light is on.
You may have an electrical fault code. Have the codes read by a service tech.
Possibly, but not likely. Have a compression test run.
First I would check the gas cap. If it's not tightened until it clicks several times it can make the check engine light come on.