What would you like to do?
How do you get rid of chlorine when you put too much in your swimming pool?
Just wait it out, the Ch level will come down. When you add Ch (Shock) you are spiking the Ch level and normal conditions use Ch and lower the concentration. Unless you put so much in that it is having detrimental effects, you shouldn't worry. Be sure the Ph is in balance. If the Ph or Alkalinity is out of tolerence, you may have long term problems, like corrosion of tubing in the heater.
There should not be a major problem unless the chlor level is above 10.0 ppm.
5 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
It makes the water a litle less comfortable to swim in. That's the definition of a public pool. It needs too much chlorine to burn off all the urine, spit, sweat, and other b…odily fluids. They even make special chlorinators for public pools that can hold 20 chlorine tabs. That's 20 tabs in 1 week. Way too much.
Dangerous, It would take a larger amount of chlorine in a pool for it to be considered "dangerous" at least to people and animals. It would cause a person dry skin with extend…ed exposure. Most importantly the chlorine would most likely be more harmful on your pool then it would on a person. Excessive chlorine could cause bleaching of a pool liner, and could start to degrade pool equipment if left go for a period of time.
It is very unlikely for someone to experience chlorine poisoning by swimming, even in highly chlorinated pool water. Nonetheless, be sure to shower after swimming, because reg…ular, chlorinated pool water can easily irritate skin and hair.
Answer #1 Wait. The sun and time will reduce the residual chlorine. Or . . . Drain some water from the pool and add fresh. I d…on't recommend this inasmuch as you'd have to drain more than half your pool to cut the chlorine concentration in half (because of the residual chlorine of municipal tap water). Answer thats easy, the sun will do all of the work for you. just dont swim in it for a couple of days, and the sun will evaporate the extra remaining clorine. i know this from experience!:D
Lowering Chlorine LevelsThere is a product called "After Shock-Chlorine Reducer" by Jack's Magic. This will quickly lower the chlorine level in your pool. Please refer to manu…facture for instructions on how to use with your swimming pool. Hope this helps!! While using Jack's Magic will work, it's mainly a marketing ploy to make you think you need a lot of special pool chemicals. Here's a cheaper method: Stop adding chlorine, and let the sun burn out the excess.
Answer That depends on the levels, however with high levels of chlorine when the sun is shining, it can burn the skin. There would have to be extreme elevated l…evels for that to occur, but it is possible. The real problem would be getting it in your eyes. It's best to stay out of it, until levels have returned to normal range.
Answer After you "shock" a pool with chlorine (a large amount to potentially kill anything that has been growing in there - bacteria from human waste, algae...),… you should at least wait 24 hours if it is a small pool. If you can still smell a very strong odor from the chlorine, stay out longer. Larger pools with large filtration systems (such as public pools) usually 2-3 hours is good.
The NSPF states that between 1-3 ppm of chlorine is safe to swim in. Through my own strudies, I actually reccomend 4ppm as a standard. Especially in public pools or soft-sided… above ground pools that lack proper circulation given the inferior, small cartrige filters. There are many ways around this. You can use a mineral purifier that uses both copper and silver. The silver acts as a suppliment to where you can use as little as .5 PPM of chlorine and do just fine. The copper acts as an algae preventative. Though there are more simple ways to go. Natural Chemistry makes a product called "Pool Perfect Plus Phos free" If you use this product on a weekly basis you can get away with using far less chlorine. Algae requires three main ingredients to grow. 1. Sunlight, (good luck keeping your pool in the dark all the time). 2. Water (this should be pretty self evident) 3. Phosfates (this is actually a controllable facet) If you remove all the Phosfates from a pool, algae can not grow. You then need to look at the effectiveness of the chlorine itself. pH is a huge factor in chlorine effectiveness. pH is a scale created by S.R.L Sorenson in 1909 to determine the corrosive ability of free standing liquid per liter. It is based on a negative intiger quanitity of equivalent grams of Hydrogen. If a liter of solution has .0000001 equivalent grams of hydrogen it then has a pH of 7.0 which is neutral. Chlorine works more efficiently the lower the pH. Preferably between 7.2 and 7.8. Any higher the chlorine loses it's capability as a sanitizer on an exponential level. Any lower the chlorine is litterally burned off by the acidity. The pH of the human skin and eyes is most comfortable at 7.5 for those seeking pool perfection. I have been in this field for two decades. I will stop now or I won't stop.
Dry skin. Bleached hair.
Just wait it out the chlorine will dissipate after a couple of days. if you have a salt water pool turn the chlorine generator down or run the filter less often if possi…ble.
You can use a foam disperser for temporary relief, but the only long term solution is to allow the level to normally drop, replace water, or try to use large quantities …of oxidizer to burn it out. Pool & Spa
150 grams of chlorine for 10,000 gallons of water
Answer . \nevaporation and/or dilution\n. \nevaporation: chlorine will evaporate from a pool fastest on a hot, sunny day. leave the cover off for a bit.\n. \ndilution: a…dd clean non-chlorinated water to the pool to dilute the chlorine concentration. do not illegally dispose of or dump chlorinated water to make room for the clean water!
If you are raising your chlorine because it is testing low then try 4 cups per 10,000 gallons. If you are superchlorinating your pool then try a gallon per 10K
Too strong means 5.0 or higher? You can go to 10.0 without many side affects. What readings are you getting? Wait a day or so for 5 and above readings. Maybe a minute amount …of ammonia would do the trick but be careful.
People putting it in.
There is no such thing.