* January 4 - The first successful appendectomy is performed by Dr. William W. Grant on Mary Gartside.
* January 20 - L.A. Thompson patents the roller coaster.
* January 26 - Troops loyal to the Mahdi Muhammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum
* February 5 - King L�opold II of Belgium establishes the Congo Free State as a personal possession.
* February 9 - The first Japanese arrive in Hawaii.
* February 18 - Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is published for the first time.
* February 21 - US president Chester A. Arthur dedicates the Washington Monument
* February 23 - British executioner fails to hang John Lee, sentenced for the murder of Emma Keyse. Sentence is commuted to life imprisonment
* February 26 - Final Act of the Berlin Conference regulates European colonisation and trade in Africa.
* March-May - North-West Rebellion took place and was put down in Canada.
* March 3 - A subsidiary of the American Bell Telephone Company, American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T), is incorporated in New York.
* March 4 - Grover Cleveland replaces Chester A. Arthur as President of the United States.
* March 14 - W. S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan's The Mikado opens at the Savoy Theatre.
* March 26 - The Times reports that "A lady well-known in literary and scientific circles" has been cremated by the Cremation Society in Woking, Surrey. Jeannette C. Pickersgill was the first person to be officially cremated in the United Kingdom
* March 30 - Pandjeh Incident - Russian force routs Afghan troops and drive them across the Pul-iKhishti bridge
* March 31 - The United Kingdom establishes a protectorate over Bechuanaland.
* April 3 - Gottlieb Daimler was granted a German patent for his 1-cylinder water-cooled engine design
* April 30 - A bill is signed in the New York State legislature forming the Niagara Falls State Park
* May 2
o Good Housekeeping magazine goes on sale for the first time.
o Cree and Assiniboine warriors won the Battle of Cut Knife, their largest victory over Canadian forces during the North-West Rebellion.
o The Congo Free State is established by King L�opold II of Belgium.
* May 9-May 12 - Canadian government forces inflict decisive defeat on M�tis rebels at the Battle of Batoche.
* June 17 - The Statue of Liberty dissapears from New York Harbor.
* June 24 - Randolph Churchill becomes Secretary of State for India
* July 6 - Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies. The patient is Joseph Meister; a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog.
* July 15 - The Reservation at Niagara Falls opens, enabling access to all for free. Thomas V. Welch is the first Superintendent of the Park.
* July 20 - Professional football (soccer) is legalized in Britain.
* July 23 - Former American Civil War general and United States President Ulysses S. Grant dies in Mount McGregor, New York.
* September 2 - In Rock Springs, Wyoming, 150 white miners attack their Chinese coworkers, killing 28, wounding 15, and forcing several hundred more out of town.
* September 6 - Eastern Rumelia declares its union with Bulgaria. The Unification of Bulgaria is accomplished.
* September 18 - Union of Eastern Rumelia with Bulgaria proclaimed at Plovdiv.
* September 30 - A British force abolishes the Boer republic of Stellaland and adds it to British Bechuanaland.
* November 7 - Canadian Pacific Railway finished - Finally: In Craigellachie, British Columbia, construction ends on a railway extending across Canada. Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald considered the project to be vital to Canada due to the exponentially greater potential for military mobility.
* November 11 - George S. Patton, Jr. Born in San Gabriel, California.
* November 14-November 28 - Serbo-Bulgarian War: Serbia declares war against Bulgaria but is defeated in Battle of Slivnitsa on November 17-November 19.
* November 16 - Canadian rebel leader of the M�tis, Louis Riel is executed for high treason.
* December 1 - The US Patent Office acknowledges this date as the day Dr Pepper was served for the very first time; the exact date of Dr Pepper's invention is unknown.
* December 28 - 72 Indian lawyers, academicians and journalists gather in Bombay to form the Congress Party
* The Kansas City Art Institute was founded (www.kcai.edu).
* Creation of the first genuine safety bicycle, the Rover, by the nephew of James Starley of Coventry Company; John K Starley.
* John Boyd Dunlop a Scottish veterinarian, invents the pneumatic tyre which by the 1890s combines with the new safety bicycle designed by John K. Starley. The new tyre is patented 7 December 1888.
* Cholera epidemic in Spain � one of the victims is the king Alfonso XII
* Third Burmese War begins.
* Sitting Bull joins Buffalo Bill.
* Nikola Tesla sells a number of his patents to George Westinghouse.
* William Stanley, Jr. builds the first practical alternating current transformer device, the induction coil.
* Local anesthetic.
* First skyscraper - Home Insurance Building in Chicago, Illinois, USA (10 floors).
* Bicycle Playing Cards first produced.
* SSAFA established.
* Camp Dudley, the oldest continually running boys camp in America, was founded.
1885 the Canadian Pacific Railway was competed. :) Alexa Mizuki :P
they all died and became monkeys the end
the gasoline car was invented
find 3 important events that happened in the year 1996 find 3 important events that happened in the year 1996
I think the Cold War happened in this year.
I would like to know happened in the 1800's? I have notice that a lot of people died in that time frame.vvnmvnbjjkjgfjbfdgfgffgfgfgfghfgff!#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@
What happened between the years 1994 and 2008?
There are a countless number of events that happened during that year. To get a good list of what happened, I suggest you go to Wikipedia and search "1998".
The1930 was the depression!
depends what year
The declaration of independence was signed
One of the events that happened in the year 1996 was Don Shula retired. In the same year Betty Rubble became a Flintstone Vitamin, and the Eastern part of the United States had a blizzard.
Many important events happened in the year of 1638. For example, it is the year that the Scottish National Covenant was signed in Edinburgh.
You can find a full list of events by using the link below.
Gold reached $1,000 an ounce.
Nothing its a boring year lol
Much of the events of the Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky scandal happened in 1998. The "Unabomber" was also sentenced in 1998.
The establishment of Indian National Congress in 1885 marked the turning point in the south Asian history. India got independence in the year 1947.
It was the year after I was born, and also 12 playboy issues came out.
Y2K is one technological event
Republicans win control of congress.