The question and answer are locked and cannot be edited.
What were the original 13 colonies that became the first US states?
- Virginia (1607) - Established by the London Company
- New Jersey (1618) - Originally settled by the Dutch, but seized by the English in 1664.
- Massachusetts (1620) - Founded as two colonies: Plymouth Colony (1620), settled by the Pilgrims; and Massachusetts Bay Colony (1630), settled by the Puritans. They were united in 1691, and annexed Maine, which had been colonized by the New England Council in the 1620's.
- New Hampshire (1622) - Originally part of Maine, then a colony from 1629 until annexed by Massachusetts, 1641-1643. Became a separate colony again in 1679.
- Pennsylvania (1623) - Originally settled by Dutch and Swedes. Came under English control in the 1664 and was granted to William Penn by Charles II in 1681.
- New York (1624) - Founded as New Netherland by the Dutch West India Company. Seized by the English in 1664 and renamed.
- Maryland (1634) - Granted to Lord Baltimore.
- Connecticut (1635) - Founded by settlers from Massachusetts and other colonies. New Haven Colony, founded by settlers from Massachusetts in 1638, annexed to Connecticut in 1662, when the older colony was granted a royal charter.
- Rhode Island (1636) - Settled by two groups from Massachusetts and united in 1644. Chartered by King Charles II in 1663.
- Delaware (1638) - Settled by Swedes; seized by the Dutch in 1655 and by the English in 1664. Granted to William Penn in 1682.
- North Carolina (1653) - Settled by pioneers from other colonies. Carolina was separated from Virginia and granted to a private company in 1663; divided into two colonies in 1711. Made a royal providence in 1729.
- South Carolina (1670) - Originally part of Carolina Colony. Was separated from North Carolina in 1711, and became a royal providence in 1729.
- Georgia (1733) - Granted to a private company by George II in 1732 and settled a year later in Savannah.
Here are the colonies in geographical order, roughly from north to south. The division into three regions is a later construct of historians, though New England was always considered to be a distinct region.
Province of New Hampshire, later New Hampshire
Province of Massachusetts Bay, later Massachusetts and Maine
Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, later Rhode Island and Providence Plantations Connecticut Colony, later Connecticut
Province of New York, later New York and Vermont
Province of New Jersey, later New Jersey
Province of Pennsylvania, later Pennsylvania
Delaware Colony later Delaware
Province of Maryland, later Maryland
Colony and Dominion of Virginia, later Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia
Province of North Carolina, later North Carolina and Tennessee
Province of South Carolina, later South Carolina
Province of Georgia, later Georgia
173 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
North: New Hampshire Massachusetts Rhode Island Connecticut Middle: New York Pennsylvania New Jersey Delaware South: Maryland Virginia North Carolina South Carolina Georgia Co…nnecticut Colony, Deleware Colony, Province of Georgia, Province of Maryland, Province of Massachusets Bay, Province of New Hampshire, Province of New York, Province of New Jersey, Province of North Carolina, Province of Pennsylvania, Colony of Rhode Island, Province of South Carolina, and The Virginia Colony were the original Thirteen Colonies.
England The 13 colonies were known as British North America, ruled over by Great Britain. The resentment of the American colonists toward the British rule climaxed with the …American Revolution in 1775-1783, which gave the present day United States of America their sovereignty.
Georgia, Carolina (They didn't separate until later), Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and New Hamp…shire.
Vermont was the 14th State.
The 13 original colonies consisted of: Virginia MassachusettsNew HampshireMarylandConnecticutRhode IslandDelawareNorth CarolinaSouth CarolinaNew JerseyNew YorkPennsylvaniaGeo…rgia
A great, great trivia question: Vermont!
The 13 original American colonies were: - Connecticut - Massachusetts - Delaware - Georgia - Maryland - New York - New Jersey … - New Hampshire - North Carolina - Pennsylvania - Rhode Island - South Carolina - Virginia
georiga , virginia, north carolina, south carolina, maryland,delawere, new york, rhode isalnd,connecticut,massachusetts,pennsyvannia,new hampshire, vermont Vermont was not an… original colony. New Jersey is missing from this answer and Vermont should be removed.
The original thirteen colonies were Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsyl…vania, Rhode Island and Virginia info here: http://www.scarborough.k12.me.us/wis/teachers/dtewhey/webquest/colonial/13_original_colonies.htm
Delaware became the first state.
Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey were free. Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and… Georgia were slave owning states.
The colonies became a part of the Confederation of states following the war in 1783. The Constitution was written in 1787 and ratified by all of the states between 1782 and 1…790, with Rhode Island as the last state to ratify and 'become' part of the union.
the 13 original colonies were Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carol…ina, and Rhode Island.
Georgia, Virginia, south Carolina, north Carolina, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania,new jersey, new York, Connecticut,rhode island,massachusettes, and new Hampshire
Massachusetts | Rhode Island | Connecticut | New Hampshire ] [ New York | Delaware | New Jersey | Pennsylvania ] [ Virginia | Maryland | North Carolina… | South Carolina | Georgia ]