Auto Parts and Repairs
Head Gaskets and Valve Covers
Ford Probe
Chevy Blazer S-10
1982-1994 Chevy Cavaliers

How do you replace the head gasket located on a 1996 Ford Probe 4 cylinder?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-15 21:46:54
2015-07-15 21:46:54

Begin by removing any parts that may restrict your movement such as your airfilter housing and hoses. Once you have a good clear veiw of the valve cover remove it, then you must remove both your exhaustand and intake manifolds, as well as your thermostat and hose port. Now you'll have to remove both cams, be sure that you mark you timing belt before removal (in replacing the bolts on your cams the bolts should be tightened to 14ft/lbs of torque). Finally you remove the bolts from the head (more than likely hex key bolts, which means you'll need those tools you may not on hand). Clean the surface of your block where the head goes and get the tighting sequince and the amount of torque. To finish redo everything you undid and drive.

Here is the best info I can give you or anyone attempting to check your cylinder head. When taking off everything just unbolt your exhaust from your manifold and your intake manifold from the engine block and remove your head bolts from the cylinder head. This way you can take off all three pieces as one unit.

You can not put them back on this way and separate them once out of the engine bay. It sure does make it easier and eliminates some time as if you removed them seperately.

This was told to me by the Ford dealership, just another way the charge you by the book price yet they do it easier for less time and more of your money!


Related Questions

User Avatar

Remove the intake and exhaust manifolds. Remove the head. Torque the head and manifolds to the correct torque and sequence, you will need a repair manual for this.

User Avatar

Sorry but your question makes no sense. If you are asking where is the hydraulic clutch reservoir, then if it has one, it is located somewhere near the master cylinder, usually mounted on the firewall.

User Avatar

just replace the engine with a 4 or 6 cylinder and your done.

User Avatar

The fuel filter on a '91 Probe GL, which may or may not be the same, but I believe it is, is located near the firewall on the drivers side near the master cylinder and break fluid reservoir. It fits into a bracket type clamp in a vertical position. Should be fairly easy to replace. -Shaun

User Avatar

look at the passinger side of the bay its towards the bulk head below a black plastic breatihg cylinder i believe mate

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.