Asked in The Battle of HastingsDatabase ProgrammingDefinitionsHindi Language and Culture
What does the word field mean?
March 27, 2013 3:53PM
A record divided into categories
Definitions of field on the Web:
- a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed; "he planted a field of wheat"
- battlefield: a region where a battle is being (or has been) fought; "they made a tour of Civil War battlefields"
- somewhere (away from a studio or office or library or laboratory) where practical work is done or data is collected; "anthropologists do much of their work in the field"
- discipline: a branch of knowledge; "in what discipline is his doctorate?"; "teachers should be well trained in their subject"; "anthropology is the study of human beings"
- the space around a radiating body within which its electromagnetic oscillations can exert force on another similar body not in contact with it
- a particular kind of commercial enterprise; "they are outstanding in their field"
- sphere: a particular environment or walk of life; "his social sphere is limited"; "it was a closed area of employment"; "he's out of my orbit"
- playing field: a piece of land prepared for playing a game; "the home crowd cheered when Princeton took the field"
- plain: extensive tract of level open land; "they emerged from the woods onto a vast open plain"; "he longed for the fields of his youth"
- (mathematics) a set of elements such that addition and multiplication are commutative and associative and multiplication is distributive over addition and there are two elements 0 and 1; "the set of all rational numbers is a field"
- a region in which active military operations are in progress; "the army was in the field awaiting action"; "he served in the Vietnam theater for three years"
- a geographic region (land or sea) under which something
valuable is found; "the diamond fields of South Africa"