What happened to the Pearl Harbor battleships?
- USS Nevada BB-36: Refloated Feb 1942, returned to duty after
repairs Oct. 1942
- USS Oklahoma BB-37: Righted by June 1943, declare unsalvagable.
Sold for scrap, Dec. 1946; sank under tow to US mainland, May
- USS Pennsylvania BB-38: Returned to mainland for repairs Dec.
1941, returned to duty April 1942
- USS Arizona BB-39: Sunk, remains as a tomb to those lost upon
her Dec. 7
- USS Tennessee BB-43: Quick repairs at Pearl Harbor before
transfer to Puget Sound for more repairs. Returned to active duty
late Feb 1942.
- USS California BB-44: Refloated in March 1942, transferred to
Puget Sound for complete rebuild. Returned to service Jan
- USS Maryland BB-46: Still afloat, transferred to Puget Sound
for rebuild. Returned to service in Feb 1942.
- USS West Virginia BB-48: Raised and transferred to Puget Sound
in May 1943. Returned to service in July 1944.
USS Utah (BB-31, an obsolete pre-WW1 battleship) is also
sometimes counted in the total. It capsized during the assault on
Pearl Harbor. Partially righted to clear the shipping lane, it was
declared surplus and never refloated. Major portions of the hull
still rust on the bottom off Ford Island.
the pearl harbor battlewagons did have their revenge however. at
the battle of leyte gulf during the invasion of the Philippines.
the west Virginia, the Tennessee, the Maryland, the California and
the Pennsylvania all were part of 7th fleet providing fire support
to the troops going ashore on leyte. when the jap fleet appeared
coming thru the surigao strait, admiral Jesse oldendorf sent them
to meet the oncoming foe. the battlewagons helped send the Japanese
battleships yamashiro and fuso to the bottom along with the cruiser
mogami and the destroyer asagumo.the "wee vee" the west Virginia
lead the way firing 96 shells into the Japanese ships making up for
the 7 torpedos and 8 bombs she took on dec 7th 1941. the west
Virginia the California and the Tennessee were not just put back
into service. they were modernised and did not look anything like
their pre dec 7th appearance when sent back to the fleet.