Secondary medical insurance is a second level of insurance coverage. Under most circumstances, the two policies are independent of each other. One policy may pay for a service while the other may not. The primary policy must pay first, then the secondary. The choice of which policy is primary or secondary is established by a shared rule between insurance companies. It is not the policy holder's choice.
Examples of Primary/Secondary coverage: A husband and wife both work and carry the medical insurance offered by their respective employers. The husband adds his wife to his policy. The wife adds her husband to her policy. Under most circumstances, the husband's plan would be his primary policy and his wife's plan would be his secondary policy. In like manner, the wife's plan would be her primary policy and her husband's plan would be her secondary policy.
Sure, why not?
If you have insurance through your employer, and you are the policy holder,(the insurance is in your name) this insurance will be primary for you, and your spouses insurance policy will be secondary. The insurance policy thru your spouse's employer, (your spouse is the policy holder, or the insurance is in their name), this would be primary for your spouse, and your policy would be their secondary. Here's the phamplet from Medicare http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/02179.pdf
The secondary insurance cover both pays and co-pays of the primary insurance depending with the insurance company.
Yes, if the secondary insurance plan covers it In the pharmacy (drugs) world of primary and secondary coverage, this is true.
Primary insurance coverage is what is first used when a medical service is being rendered. This is what will be billed first. Secondary insurance is supposed to cover what the primary insurance does not.
primary and secondary
Yes, you can. The other insurance would be primary though and the Medicaid secondary.
Some will. Check with the secondary insurer.
You cannot decide which insurance is primary and which is secondary. Their is nothing you can do to determine this. Within each policy it specifies when each policy is primary or secondary. With Medicare, it is always going to be secondary to insurance provided by an employer or retirement plan.
Secondary insurance will not pay the claim but the remaining charges should not be billed to the member/patient. Provider of service should write off the patient responsibility that primary insurance applied.
I have insurance paid for by my employer (primary) and through my husband's employer (secondary). In my experience, I have never had to pay the copay required by my primary because it is covered by my secondary. When I first got married, 2 years ago, I still paid the copay, but the doctor's office would always send me a check for the copay a month later because the secondary paid it.
No, it's fraudulant. It's not practical, the secondary insurance should pay the remainder of the cost the primary insurance doesn't cover.
You should or you customer WILL be PISSED for having to do the leg work of getting the information of what the primary paid and getting it to their secondary.
It is usually written in an insurance policy if the policy is primary or secondary. If both policies have language that makes them secondary if other insurance is present then they may split the amount owed. State laws may change this.
There is one major difference between these types of claims. When a person has two different insurance carriers, one of them is designated as the primary coverage and the other as the secondary. The primary insurance should be billed first and normally pays the bulk of the bill. The secondary insurance gets billed for the remainder of the bill which the primary insurance did not pay for.
if primary paid more than allowed amount or if patient has primary insurance
As long as it is a covered expense by your secondary insurance and a claim has been filed with the primarty insurance then the answer is yes. The secondary insurance will only cover the expense according to your plan.
Cobra is available to those without insurance. Fortunately you have primary insurance and this would be useful.
== == If secondary insurance denies coverage, YOU get to pay the bill. == ==
What is the question
Primary and Secondary
Medicare becomes the primary insurance if you drop your employer insurance. Up until you drop your employer insurance, Medicare would be your secondary insurance.
Depending on your coverage, your primary insurance will cover 80% of your charges, minus your deductible (if not already met). Your secondary insurance will pick up the remaining 20% co-insurance and your co-pay, if you have one.