Apartments and Home Rentals
Money Management

What can you do if your tenant doesn't pay and you can't afford the mortgage for your rental home and are close to foreclose?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Canadian Law can allow the Landlord to waive collecting of rent for as long as they wish, but if the renter is more than 30 days later with their rent then you have the right to tell them to leave and give them 1 months notice before you re-rent the suite or house. Go on Type in: Tenants Act in the U.S. (or Canada) You'll see what the laws are. You can also have the police escort the renter out and, after 30 days by Canadian Law you can change the locks and hold the tenants possessions until they cough-up with the rent and if the suite or home is damaged as a Landlord you have the right to hold back the damage deposit as well.