Citizenship and Marriage
Labor and Employment Law

What happens if you are married to a US citizen but overstayed your tourist visa and lost your I-94?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2014-09-18 00:12:19
2014-09-18 00:12:19

If you are married to a US citizen but your tourist visa is expired and you lost your I-94, you should immediately apply for a new visa or return to your country. Your I-94 is filed electronically, and you can get a new copy from the Department of Homeland Security. If you don't take action yourself, you may end up being deported and not allowed to return.

User Avatar

Related Questions

is a british citizen can get maried to a tourist visa in the uk

Overstaying a visa- no matter what classification- is grounds for deportation. If he is in hiding, you had better keep him there. Marriage would make no difference.AnswerIf the illegal alien can into the U.S. on a valid tourist visa even it is currently expired would be able to adjust status when he married a U.S. citizen. He would have to be careful about leaving the U.S. until he received his greencard because he could incur a 10 year ban for having overstayed.

A US citizen can marry a foreign national on a tourist visa. The only requirement is that neither of them should already be married.

If he is still married to you, he is as much a citizen as you are, as separation is not the same as divorce. A marriage with a US citizen counts more than a visa does, as marriages last longer and are harder to end than visas.

A tourist is a person that travels in a place or country with a purpose to enjoy the scenery or experience its culture. And if a tourist wants to get married to a native citizen, he/she will have to undergo a lot of examinations and interviews.

Just go get married. Your alien status has nothing to do with getting married. Normalizing your status after marriage is another matter though. You should still be able to change your illegal alien status to that of legal resident by way of marriage to a citizen, but the process will be complicated both by your past crime and your lack of documentation.

If the person is already married in the Philippines, that marriage would have to be legally annulled first. You can then marry the person even if she or he has a tourist visa. As long as you are a legal citizen of the U.S.A, your new wife or husband will automatically become a citizen as well.

The same way you marry a girlfriend that has not overstayed. Getting married has nothing to do with immigration law. However, any falsification on the marriage license can invalidate the marriage. Being in the country illegally will not change based on marital status. If you really want to get married and have a long relationship, consult an immigration attorney.

No you can't. You would more or likely get refused if you get married before getting a spousal visa after you get married. So you would need to get that visa before the wedding, while on the tourist visa.

There is no way for that person to becme a citizen immediately. Once the children reach the age of 21, they can sponsor the person for residency, but it is a long process.

well many things happen and it is in a secrect file that no one can know

It is possible for a Filipino in the U.S. on a tourist visa to marry an American citizen. Getting married is usually easy, but being allowed to stay in the U.S. can be more complicated in this situation and may require the help of an attorney.

you can get married but you cannot apply to remain here. you need to leave the uk and apply for entry clearance from turkey to come as the spouse of uk national.

You're not a legal citizen, but if you're married to one you will need to file a petition and apply for citizenship, which takes a while. Very risky.

This question does not make sense with the word illegal. Nothing specific is illegal about being a Filipina on a tourist visa. If the word illegal is removed, then yes, it is possible.

this is the scenario: my wife is currently a permanent resident. We got married in Italy AFTER she got her green card . We decided not to file a petition on my behalf as that would put me on a long waiting list. We are now in the process of going to the US to accrue physical presence and get her citizenship. If I go to the US with her on a visa waiver program and overstay for about 3 years waiting for her to become a citizen, will I be able to adjust status WITHOUT leaving the US?

It's better to marry in USA. Then, he will be a citizen without taking a test. USA!!! Because None of You would have to take a test..but if you want to get married in a beautiful place get married in argentina Argentina is very pretty and you are allowed to still be considered a citizen if u r married to some1 in the USA so technically you can still get married there... I hope this helps you out.

you will have to be out for 10 years. there is no way back eexcept you chnage your name or get married to a US citizen

Yes, a US citizen can get married just about anywhere and the marriage license will be recognized back at home in your state just as a valid one would. This is particularly valuable for destination weddings. The hazy area in this is only gay marriages, of course.

Yes, Indian tourist visa can be extended on medical grounds.

It is a person who is a foreigner (not a citizen) who tours a country not native to that person.tourist travelling to and between foreign countries

No. A US citizen can be a tourist in Germany VISA-free for 90 days.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.