The biggest city in the US state of Maine, Portland is also considered the social, economic and cultural capital of the state. This 52.6-sq-mi city topped Forbes’ list of America’s Most Livable Cities in 2009.
What were the major cities and settlements in Maine in the 1700's?
the town of york being the shire town of the western section that portion gradually came to be called york district or county the other was called sommerset when masschuetts assumed control of the provice of Maine as far as casco bay in 1658 in 1653 settment of saco in 1718 the name was changed to bidford but in 1762 the town was divided machias 1784 penobscot 1787 norridgewook 1788 Norway 1797 wiscasset was settled before king philps war
Where was Camp Mason during the Civil War?
There was a Camp Mason in Oklahoma and, another in Portland Maine.
How long does it take a letter to go from Portland Maine to St Louis Missouri?
First Class Mail is delivered in three to five days.
Who visited Maine in 1614?
Is there an firearm appraiser that would come to your house in the Portland Maine area?
Check your yellow pages. You might try looking under Auctioneers as well as Appraisers. If you have modern firearms to appraise, most sporting could help or even a pawnshop.
What is the address of the seaport in Portland Maine?
Portland Ocean Terminal 40 Ocean Street, Suite 101 Portland, Maine 40101
How long does it take to drive from Orlando Florida to Portland Maine?
It is 1,403.47 miles and an estimated 23 hours and 8 minutes of driving according to MapQuest.
How many miles between Portland Maine and Bangor Maine?
Total distance depends on the exact location in each city. From Portland-Westbrook to Bangor is 166 driving miles on the Maine Turnpike (interstate 95.)
Around 130 miles using 295 to 95.
What was Maine's population in 1800?
What is the driving distance from Portland Maine to Bar Harbor Maine?
3 hours 20 minutes
How long will it take to drive from Boston MA to Portland ME?
Google Maps estimates the driving time as 1 hour and 59 minutes.
How long is it to drive from Manchester Maine to Bangor Maine?
The drive is going to be 79.0 mi - about 1 hour 20 mins.
Who was the Rev Robert Jordan and what was his role in Maine?
The Jordan Memorial: Family Records of Rev. Robert Jordan, and His Descendants in America (1882)
---- The Rev. Robert Jordan, a priest of the church of England, came to Richmond's Island in Maine about the year 1640. Jordan probably divided Sunday ministrations between the Spurwink and Casco settlements and Saco. Excerpts from the genealogy are below.
"By his marriage with Sarah Winter, Mr. Jordan became one of the great land-proprietors and wealthy men of that region; 'a source of influence,' says a writer, 'which he failed not to exert in favor of his church and politics.' "The writer of an article in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, vol. xiii. p. 221, says of Mr. Robert Jordan: 'This gentleman and Rev. Richard Gibson were the pioneers of Episcopacy in Maine. Mr. Gibson left the country about the year 1642, but Jordan remained at the post of duty, and never relinquished his stand as a churchman or his professional character.'
Owing to his religious affinities and associations, Mr. Jordan was an object of suspicion and hostility to the Puritan government of Massachusetts, who forbade him to marry or baptize. He paid no attention to this order, and, continuing to discharge the duties of his office, the General Court of Massachusetts ordered his arrest and imprisonment in Boston jail. This occurred twice, namely, in 1654 and in 1663. "After his house in Spurwink was destroyed by Indians in King Philip's War, Jordan removed to Great Island (now Newcastle). He died in 1679 at Portsmouth, New Hampshire."
The original text can be viewed at the NEHGS Library. The call number is CS71/J82/1882. To locate additional genealogy and local history resources, search our library catalog.
What are the major cities in Maine?
Based on the 2010 US Census, by population they are:
- South Portland.
- Augusta and
How long does it take to fly from Portland Maine to Chiang Mai Thailand?
Around 27 hours, if you stop in New York and Singapore.
What are some major cities in Maine?
How long does it take to drive from Philadelphia Pennsylvania to Portland Maine?
MapQuest estimates the driving time as 7 hours and 31 minutes
What was the population of Maine in 2006?
An estimate of Maine's population in 2006 is 1,321,574 people.
How many miles is it from Portland Maine to Paris France?
The distance is straight path from one place to another place. There might be slight difference between the actual distance and the above mentioned distance because of the route chosen.The distance between the above mentioned places is 3,360.67 miles approximately.
How many miles from Portland Maine to Trenton New Jersey?
It is 383.67 miles according to MapQuest.
Train schedule from New York City to Portland Maine?
The quickest way to get to Portland, ME from New York City is to take a train to Boston and an Amtrak Thruway Bus to Portland. The bus is available right at Boston's South Station that receives the trains from NYC. Trains with connecting bus service leave NYC at 8:30 am and 12:03 pm and the buses arrive in Portland at 4:10 pm and 6:10 pm, respectively. Coming back, the buses leave Portland at 12:30 pm and 6:00 pm and arrive in Penn Station in NYC at 7:45 pm and 2:20 am (the next day), respectively.
How many miles from Portland Maine to Ottawa Ontario Canada?
It is 397 miles according to Google Maps.
Route from Portland Maine to Springfield IL?
- Take the Maine Turnpike (toll) SOUTH on I-95 into New Hampshire where I-95 becomes the New Hampshire Turnpike (toll).
- Take I-95 SOUTH on the New Hampshire Turnpike (toll) through New Hampshire and into Massachusetts where you will exit at EXIT 59 onto I-495 SOUTH to WORCESTER.
- Take I-495 SOUTH to I-90 Massachusetts Turnpike (toll) to BOSTON and ALBANY, NY. Follow signs to I-90 Massachusetts Turnpike WEST to SPRINGFIELD and ALBANY.
- Take the Massachusetts Turnpike WEST on I-90 into New York where it becomes the New York State Thruway (Berkshire Connector) (toll).
- Take I-90 WEST along the Berkshire Connector and follow signs to I-87 New York State Thruway to NEW YORK and BUFFALO. When you reach I-87, follow signs to I-87 New York State Thruway NORTH to BUFFALO.
- Take the New York State Thruway NORTH on I-87 and then WEST on I-90 through New York and into Pennsylvania where it becomes a toll-free road.
- Continue WEST on I-90 through Pennsylvania to I-271 EXPRESS LANES - SOUTH to COLUMBUS at EXIT 190 (LEFT EXIT).
- Take I-271 EXPRESS LANES SOUTH to I-480 WEST to TOLEDO.
- Take I-480 WEST to I-80 Ohio Turnpike (toll) to TOLEDO.
- Stay on the Ohio Turnpike WEST on I-80 through Ohio and into Indiana where it will become the Indiana Toll Road.
- Take the Indiana Toll Road west along I-80/90 to EXIT 21. This will be I-80 WEST. Follow signs to I-80 WEST.
- Continue on I-80 WEST through Indiana and into Illinois where you will exit at EXIT 151A (LEFT EXIT) onto I-57 SOUTH to MEMPHIS.
- Take I-57 SOUTH to I-72 WEST to DECATUR and SPRINGFIELD at EXIT 235B.
- Take I-72 WEST to Springfield.
How far is it from Portland Maine to Belfast Maine?
Is downtown Portland Maine northwest of Sweetwater Texas?