Unanswered | Answered

Divorce and Marriage Law

~10400 answered questions
Parent Category: Law & Legal Issues
Marriage law refers to a set of rules that govern the forms and validity of marriage. Divorce is a remedy available for married couples who wanted to separate and legally dissolve their marriage bond, usually for the purpose of remarriage.
In the state of Georgia, both parents income is considered in determining child support. If Dad must pay CS, his spouse's income is calculated in determing amount to be paid.  From what I know, it is only the father's income that matters. Your income shouldn't matter at all. But if the court d…
Popularity: 197
Paying Child SupportA spouse regardless of gender is not legally obligated to support the biological children of the new spouse's previous marriages or relationships. But obviously if the children live with the parent and stepparent it will be a shared commitment.The salary or assets of the "innocen…
Popularity: 132
If paternity has not been established, then you would have to do that first. Once paternity is established, then you have to right to petition for custody.
Popularity: 123
Child support, is based on the needs of the child and the economic situation of the parents. Child support is primarily determined by what it takes to provide the child with a reasonable standard of living, based on what the two divorced parents have available. Sole custody indicates that the child…
Popularity: 75
Seven-year-olds do not make decisions as to custody, that is the responsibility of the judge. A child of that age might be asked his opinion, especially if he has been reluctant in the past to visit his father (to rule out child abuse, etc.) but it is more likely the judge will be able to make a dec…
Popularity: 149
don't do it i have been there and you can goto jail for kidknapping if the other parent wants to go that far and that will make you look bad in court so just put it off till its over and make sure you address this in court in front of the judge  The court would not look too fondly on you doing…
Popularity: 52
Here's information on copy rite law http://www.steveshorr.com/copy.right.htmPhoto Releases http://www.publaw.com/photo.html
Popularity: 27
Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. You cannot force your spouse to stay married to you because you don't want to pay child support. The court will schedule a hearing and will issue support and visitation orders. You should hire a good attorney who can advocate on your behalf. You cannot stop th…
Popularity: 165
Are you married? If not, then any branch on the military requires the parent to sign over all rights before deployment (or even enlisment for that matter). My brother-in-law married his child's mother so he could keep rights to his child when he enlisted in the military. I don't know, however, if th…
Popularity: 23
You don't. You hire competent legal counsel barred in the State you live in. He or she will listen to your situation and adopt an appropriate pre-trial and trial strategy. Note that even those mental health workers that consider mythomania a real condition admit that prevalence is quite low (one re…
Popularity: 196
In some states a petition can be filed by the primary custodian to amend the current custodial order.The usual procedure is to file a new custody suit/petition in the appropriate state court in the county where the petitioner resides.Judges are very reluctant to grant sole custody to one parent.It i…
Popularity: 46
No. You have to be 18 for that. In a few states you can get married with the courts permission around that age if you are pregnant or have a child.
Popularity: 23
I'm sure it depends on what curriculum you choose. I don't live in Missouri, but as far as I know I don't think any states charge to homeschool - I don't think that would be legal. Some states are more strict than others about requirements for homeschoolers though. There is probably some kind of ind…
Popularity: 73
An unmarried mother has custody of her child until the father has established his paternity in court and requested joint custody.
Popularity: 34
Generally, no. If the mother has full legal and physical custody of that child she can move with that child unless the father has visitation rights. She must comply with the custody and visitation schedule set by the court with jurisdiction.
Popularity: 38
IF the TITLE is in your name only, you can take it back OR report it stolen.
Popularity: 38
A person can certainly choose to drop a spouse from their coverage with one exception. If the employer is paying 100% for the employee and spouse then the employee can not opt out of coverage since it costs them nothing. You may be required to show that the spouse has alternate coverage. Check with …
Popularity: 74
Ddoubt it. Why not make her the beneficiary?for more info see www.steveshorr.com/life.htm and www.steveshorr.com/estate.planning.htm
Popularity: 80
It is a long process. Please come to immigrate2us.net. There are a lot of nice people there who know a lot about it.
Popularity: 129
Bigamy in the United States has been illegal since the mid-1800s (both in federal and all state/territory laws). There are NO possible ways to be considered legally married to more than one spouse while being a resident (or citizen) of the USA, under US law. US citizens may NEVER marry more than one…
Popularity: 141
Divorce and ImmigrationIf the immigrant has became a US permanent resident under PR1 then they retain that status after divorce. If the immigrant is under CR status (conditional resident status) They need to file adjustment of status to impermanent residence before the date of their immigration card…
Popularity: 181
It depends entirely on whether or not the Immigration Service determines if the marriage was "real" or not. That is, was the marriage between a genuine couple, or are the couple not actually in a relationship. If this sounds a little fuzzy, it is. The concept of "marriage fraud", whereby two peopl…
Popularity: 153
Yes.It is illegal to marry ANYONE for citizenship purposes only. That person could be deported and barred from life from this country and the citizen that married him/her could face hefty fines or prison time.
Popularity: 129
It is THREE YEARS. See http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=142696981298d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=d6f4194d3e88d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRDThey must have good moral character and be married for all THREE years.   No. T…
Popularity: 93
Ask him   I think I would ask his family, parents,siblings.   go on the internet and look for a private detective, it is worth it just to know for sure. or, tell him that you would like to visit his country with him as soon as he gets his green card ( usually it is 7 months of marriage…
Popularity: 71
An alien with no greencard or "papers" could get deported any time. Getting married or getting a divorce are things which, in and of themselves, have no baring on the aliens immigration status.If the spouse had filed a petition on the alien's behalf, the petition would no longer be valid. An immatur…
Popularity: 111
Immigration status is a completely separate issue from child custody and will normally not be taken into account in child custody decisions. What I learned is that any child born on U.S. soil, is a natural citizen of the U.S.A. Therefore it is a citizen. Like one of the parents. In any case ther…
Popularity: 118
You might be able to slip through the cracks and get married, but the marriage will not be legally valid. It will not be valid for immigration purposes, since one of the requirements is proof of the legal termination of all previous marriages prior to the qualifying marriage.   Mexican divorc…
Popularity: 63
No, you will have to petition your spouse through the normal channels in the US. There is really no short cut.   Yes you can, but not literally taking her back with you right away. You have to go back to your country and leave your wife to her country and you have to file for a petition.
Popularity: 129
i don't think so because once you've started the paper work the ins will dig into your lives and see you are married in the united states,that could cause more problems , falsifing information. You did not read their question.. Yes you can do that as tsince they are undocmented and no report of…
Popularity: 54
I am a U.s. citizen, and I legal married an illegal man from Mexico. All that was required of him, was that his Mexican birth certificate be translated and printed so we could present it to the clerk when we got our marraige liscense. We found a local lady here who translates legal documents. This o…
Popularity: 38
File for a divorce in your spouse's country.   No need to .. Do it where you live
Popularity: 111
In most cases, both parties must be physically present at the marriage, and the marriage must have been consumated, in order for it to be valid for immigration purposes. If a couple can prove that they do not meet one or both of these requirements for legitimate long-established religious or traditi…
Popularity: 45
yes, if they have a state issued ID, a birth certificate, and they money for the license. or you can just use your Country's identification, such as 'matricula', visa, passport, anything with your name and information. A birth certificate would also work. good luck!
Popularity: 46
A is married to B. While marriage continues, A marries C.Question: is the marriage of A to C "legal"?The marriage of A to C, is bigamous and not a legal marriage. A may be charged with the crime of bigamy which carries with it a penal sanction.
Popularity: 43
US citizens don't need visas to enter the US, so it doesn't matter what kind of Indian visa you have. The Indian visa is permission to enter India.
Popularity: 62
In Egpyt, yes. A US citizen may NEVER marry more than one person, regardless of where that occurs, and even if it is legal in that country. If you return to the United States only your first marriage will be recognized.
Popularity: 51
Yes, If they got their divorce in the U.S., their divorce decree should state certain rules each must follow concerning the children. For example; whom ever has physical custody cannot move within a 35 mile radios from the father Or mother, another example; Cannot leave the state without the other p…
Popularity: 67
Go to the county courthouse with identification and pay the fee, wait 3 days and get a judge or minister to marry the both of you.   that is correct. if you do not have a TX ID than just take your "matricula", visa, or any time of identification with your picture and information, birth certif…
Popularity: 36
Yes, even two non-citizens with visas can get married. Just bring your visa and passport to the county courthouse and register for a lisense. ------You can get married, but you cant have the status of the non-immigrant adjusted if you get married in the USA without going through the proper K1 Visa p…
Popularity: 121
You should contact legal counsel on this. With the recent changes in immigration laws, he might fall into that loophole.
Popularity: 35
Call him, or if you don't know his number, try typing in his name at http://privatpersoner.eniro.se/ You do that under "Vem (who) Namn (name) then, convince him to come back to sign the divorce papers
Popularity: 55
Call a divorce lawyer and get a free consultation (first visit, usally free) and ask the lawyer.
Popularity: 46
The easiest way is to register your marriage with the nearest US embassy or Consulate in the country where you marriage took place and from there, the consulate will be able to further advice ..I am assuming that you the US Citizen is based overseas right ?
Popularity: 41
Is he married here or in his home country? My husband went to the Mexican consulate here in the U.S. and got papers to give power of attorney to his sister in Mexico. She was then able to get a divorce for him. It took about 6 months. If his wife is here in the U.S. then I think it would be the same…
Popularity: 31
Think about how you feel about your relationship with your spouse. Are you happy? Does your spouse still make you feel amazing? Do you want to spend forever with your spouse? Look deep in your relationship and ask yourself these questions among many others and finally ask yourself if going outside y…
Popularity: 39
Yes, that is if you have parental permission.
Popularity: 165
A 16-17 y/o can normally get married with parental and/or judicial consent. In most states if one or both of the individuals wishing to get married is/are 17 and under, then they usually need to get parental consent from either (if not both) parents and possibly from a court. NOTE: California: …
Popularity: 134
You have to be 18 to marry without parental consent in Oklahoma. I think if you are young enough to be asking this question, then you should think about waiting. The next few years of your life will be full of changes, and you would be suprised at how differently just two or three years can make you…
Popularity: 117
Yes you can get married in Maryland without parents permission only if the girl is going to have a baby or already has one and you have a doctors note saying that she is or does. Yes; Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland and Oklahoma allow pregnant teens or teens who have already had a …
Popularity: 120
I am not certain I am reading this correctly, but...NO! If you are married to someone and do not get legally divorced, you cannot marry someone else. That would be bigamy, and is illegal. The fact that the girl is considered underage, in the state she/they reside in, is irrelevant.I think the questi…
Popularity: 104
There is no place in the US (or North America) that you can get married without parental consent at an age younger than 18. And its for a reason. way too young and naive at that age no matter how sure you "KNOW" you are. The above is incorrect. Most of the states allow the two to go before a ju…
Popularity: 121
Though you do have to be 21 to marry in Mississippi without consent, you may get married at 15 if you are a female with the consent of ONE parent. Mississippi is one of the few states that doesn't require the permission of both parents.
Popularity: 126
The legal ages of consent for marriage (without parental consent) in Mississippi are 15 for females and 17 for males.   Mississippi requires a person to be *21* in order to get married without parental consent. The age to get married *with* parental consent is: girls 15, boys 17.Now, I don't …
Popularity: 83
Because you were underage when you married and it has been fewer than 60 days if you did not have parental consent you can get an annulment. Go to the court and file an annulment action if this is the case. If you did have parental consent you will need a divorce. You will have to file a legal separ…
Popularity: 105
Answer Yes there is in Las Vegas. I went ther to get married when i was 16 and my now husband was 18. I got married and didn't even need parental consent. Just find a small chapel grab a few witnesses and get it done. its as easy as 123. Hope everything works out. Lee. Answer Hey!! I like yo…
Popularity: 94
Mississippi has no residency requirement, so, yes, even if you live in another state, you can get married in Mississippi. However, you have to have parental consent if you're *under 21*. (I did verify this today with the county clerk's office)Every state in the U.S requires that a couple be 18 in or…
Popularity: 36
Most states require 2 forms of picture ID to receive a marriage license. (LICENSE) And then there is the 3 day wait before you are granted permission to wed. In all 50 states, you need to have at least one parent's permission and they must be present to give you permission. And if you are under the …
Popularity: 58
Only with a court order/approval.
Popularity: 29
No answer to your question, but this 22-year-old should be most concerned with the fact that in most states a 15-year-old is under the age of sexual consent. You better hope he doesn't get brought up on charges because he could be facing a prison sentence.
Popularity: 27
Vegas baby! No joke... got o las Vegas and get someone to witness your wedding(doesnt matter who the witnes is)and u can get married! :) good luck!!
Popularity: 26
If you are both over 18, then no, you will not get in trouble, at least not with the law. If you are under 18, you will need parental permission to get married in Las Vegas.   If you are a minor, there are laws against taking you across state lines without parental permission, not to mention …
Popularity: 98
Remember they take CASH ONLY for the marriage license. Open 8am to midnight Monday through Thursday, and open 24 hours Friday through Sunday (midnight). There are no blood test requirements and licenses are valid for one year from date of issue. There are chapels within walking distance of the lic…
Popularity: 66
Your marriage will be recognized if it was a legal marriage and as long as it does not violate any laws in your new home. For example: A plural marriage would not be recognized in the US where you can only be married to one person at a time.A same sex marriage would be recognized by the state of Mas…
Popularity: 48
If you have parental consent you can get married in either state at 17.
Popularity: 60
not really not at 17 maybey 18 or 19 but not 18 i love some i am 19 and she is 14 but she told me 19 or 21 only than talk to me about it   no not unless she is pregnant and able to prove to a judge that your both are financially and emotionally able to handle yourselves and the child but if y…
Popularity: 35
In most states you both would have to have written parental consent. Call your local marriage license place to find out.
Popularity: 55
In the state of Maine the age of marriage without written parental consent is 18. If you want to get married under the age of 16 in Maine you must get written parental AND judical (by a judge) consent.
Popularity: 43
%REPLIES% Answer Yes, there are several states in which i have found that you can get married w/out parental consent. Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland and Oklahoma allow pregnant teens or teens who have already had a child to get married without parental consent. In Florida, Kentu…
Popularity: 37
I know in Maryland, if you are 16 or 17 and are pregnant or already have a child, you can get married without your parents' consent. You just have to get a note from your doctor stating that you are in fact pregnant, or your child's birth certificate. I don;t know where you live, but Good Luck.
Popularity: 22
No. In Colorado you have to be 18 to get married without parental consent.
Popularity: 32
In Ohio, even with the consent of a legal guardian, you have to be 16 to get married.No.The legal guardian (sister) would need to give her permission and also permission would have to be obtained from the court (or a higher court of jurisdiction) that granted the guardianship.
Popularity: 35
There are no states that will allow minors to marry without parental consent/court approval/special circumstances.
Popularity: 19
No. And even with parental permission, a great many states would also require court approval for a 15-year-old to marry.
Popularity: 40
Both. Unless one is deceased, or they are divorced and one has sole custoday.
Popularity: 40
Not unless you can get a court order. Don't go to Mississippi expecting that you can marry without parental consent. Mississippi requires a person to be *21* in order to get married without parental consent. I verified this information today (02/11/05) with the county clerk's office. Every st…
Popularity: 68
In CA, if either party is under 18, in addition to getting parental consent, the couple must also schedule an appointment with a counselor and then appear before a superior court judge.
Popularity: 32
In TX, if you're under 16, you have to have a court order to get married. I have no idea what the process is for getting one. But--the age of sexual consent in TX is 17. The young man could potentially be charged with Indecency With a Child/Sexual Assult, which is a felony. He might want to speak wi…
Popularity: 22
In AR, males under the age of 17 and females under the age of 16 cannot marry without a court order (even if they have parental consent).
Popularity: 35
You need to be at least 18 years old to marry in England without parents consent.
Popularity: 33
No, not at the age of 14, there is no state that will permit marriage. Every state in the U.S. requires a couple to be 18 in order to marry without parental consent, with the exception of Mississippi (21) and Nebraska (19). Mississippi requires a person to be 21 in order to get married without paren…
Popularity: 26
When a minor marries they become emancipated, so you would no longer be responsible for her.
Popularity: 29
Actually, in Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland and Oklahoma allow pregnant teens or teens who have already had a child to get married without parental consent. In Florida, Kentucky, and Oklahoma, the young couple must have authorization from a court. Maryland requires that the minor be …
Popularity: 17
Nope. You have to be 18 to get married in Mexico without parental consent. And they don't allow males under the age of 16 (or females under the age of 14) to get married at all--even with parental consent.
Popularity: 28
Pretty much every state allows people under 18 to get married with parental consent. But if you don't have parental consent, then there is no state where you can get married without court approval/special circumstances.
Popularity: 31
There is no state that will allow a 16-year-old to get married without parental consent/court approval/special circumstances. It would probably be rather tough to convince a court to over-ride the authority of a parent (which they don't like to do) because it would be in the best interest of 16-year…
Popularity: 22
Even in the few states that would allow it, court approval would be required in many of them.
Popularity: 29
Sixteen, is way to young. There is a big wonderful world out there. Consentrate and focus your energy on a good education. Education is the key! Find other interests and get involved with clubs, sports, and hobbies. You will find new friends who are positive thinkers and have the same interests as y…
Popularity: 19
In TX, if you are 16/17 you can get married with parental consent. If you are under 16, then a court order is required.
Popularity: 26
Very few states would allow a 15-year-old to get married. In those that would, the minor would have to have parental consent/court approval/special circumstances. It would probably be rather tough to convince a court to overide the authority of a parent (which they don't like to do) because it would…
Popularity: 26
In TX, if you're under 16, you have to have a court order to get married.By the way, the age of sexual consent in TX is 17. The young man could potentially be charged with 'Indecency With a Child' which is a felony.
Popularity: 69
You don't need to indicate it. When you feel out the application it should give you an opportunity to give other names. If you feel it's important put it in parenthese ().   More information needed. I have done quite a bit of work under my married name, and I will be recognized for that name.…
Popularity: 124
Normally, it doesn't. But what does happen in these cases is sometimes there are debts that are disputed as to who is responsible to pay them and as a result neither party pays. If it is a joint account, both credit histories will be negatively affected. If you are not sure get a copy of your credit…
Popularity: 158
No. Whatever obligations the person had before marriage, does not carry over into the marriage. Even if the couple reside in a community property state, the assets of the new spouse does not play a part in any "old debts".
Popularity: 33
This depends on how the house is titled and who is responsible for the mortgage payment. It can be foreclosed on if payments are defaulted the lender does not choose to reaffirm the loan. Or if the exemption does not protect the property, the Trustee can petition for a forced sale.
Popularity: 43
i believe that Bankruptcy planning should be done before the final divorce decree is obtained. This way your required payment of joint debts may be discharged without violating a court order.
Popularity: 198
Yes. A chapter 13 can also be dismissed and a chapt. 7 filed. Chap.13 has no time limitations, except as stipulated in the agreed repayment schedule., which is usually 3-5 years.
Popularity: 41